Why do I feel like an a-hole being a health nut?
If you consider yourself a health nut, you probably have more people hating you.
How often have you got carried away and started bragging about your health journey? Your friends probably asked you few questions about it just to make a polite conversation. But you just go on how it changed your life and you cannot believe how much crap you used to eat, etc etc etc. What you don’t realise that you make others feel bad for not making the same choice as you do. It’s similar to feeling extremely guilty being the only meat-eater at a vegan dinner party.
Here is a typical scene: you are invited to have dinner with your friend at a ‘normal’ restaurant (no organic, no pasture-raised meat nor wild-caught fish). They would probably say, hey let’s order a bunch of stuff and we all share them. You, on the other hand, politely ask them if you can have your own plate. Typically it would consist of a piece of grilled steak, no sauce, with boiled vegetables and salad without vinegar, no sugar. You probably bring your own Himalayan salt with you because it has more minerals than table salt. You look at what they are eating and may be make a few remarks about the quality of ingredients they used in their dishes. Chicken probably came from a factory with diseased birds and rodents, which have been fed with GMO grains full of antibiotics and hormones. Shrimps are all soaked in formalin so that they don’t go bad. The sauce is delicious – oh yeah, from sugar and MSG! And don’t forget how much Omega 6 you are consuming from rancid frying oil!
Take this test: sound familiar?
- You consider noodles and bread as empty calorie food.
- You said “no thank you” to your friends more than 3 times when offered some food you don’t wish to eat at all. In fact, you don’t understand why they do that.
- You even refuse to eat some food your grandmother cooked for you.
- You tried to explain to others why you are on a specific diet for more than 5 minutes.
- You always want to help your friends not to eat unhealthy food.
- When you go out to eat with your friend, you always have very specific requests to waiters, which you are not willing to compromise.
- You count calories in front of your friends when you eat out. You are also very happy to share your knowledge on calories.
- You cook quality food for your cats/dogs because they too deserve the best.
- You have a set of perfect hashtags to go with posts relating to healthy food and lifestyle.
- You just don’t share your food with others at the restaurant because your food cannot contain soy, MSG and sugar.
- You roll your eyes often every time when you see your friends order some sugar-bombs.
WHAT DID YOU SCORE?
10: people most definitely hate you but you do not give a flying xxxx.
7-9: you are a very disciplined health-nut! Welcome to the club! You started not to care less what others think. Good for you!
5-6: either you already know your boundaries, or you are following a path to become a health-nut a-hole.
3-4: you probably feel good to be healthy, and you need to inform the world what you think and what you have been doing. you haven’t realised YET how you are making others feel uncomfortable.
1-2: you picked up some ideas from your friends’ post. keep going! The health journey has just started!
0: you probably think I am a moron.
I score 9 and I don’t give a xxxx what others think these days 😎 I love the choice I make for myself, and I want to stay healthy as long as I can for my baby boy! By the way my granny has passed many years ago – this is why I did not score 10! hahaha