High protein snacks with low fat & carb! but no egg, no dairy pls!
It is very hard for me to get recipes online which are perfect for my plan. I often browse recipe site to get inspiration, but none of them have ALL of what I want.
I look for these things.
- High protein: most of the recipes use whey protein powder, Greek yogurt and egg white to boost the protein contents. Guess what, I cannot take them coz I am intolerant to dairy and egg white. Vegan protein powders are NOT the same. They do not act the same as whey powder!
- Non-gluten: normally it is not really a problem, I can just substitute any flour with non-gluten flour. However, with non-gluten flour, you need a binder. This means you need to add starch like tapioca or potato starch. Chia eggs are possibility but this adds extra calories in fat!!!
- No egg: vegans love flax seeds and chia seeds but to be honest, if they are binder, they are really NOT necessary! Banana does a great job in doing this, and it adds sweetness automatically.
- No sugar: it always makes me laugh when people just adds honey, maple syrup etc and call it “sugar free” for the sake of it. It is still sugar! Just get used to the natural taste!!! But things ike honey and syrup do bind things together… but for this, banana still does a great job so I would never use these.
- Low fat: in muffins it is really not necessary to use oil, as long as you add enough moisture. My zucchini/carrot/banana muffins recipe proves that. However, I would definitely use avocado for things like brownies. I baked mine without any oil and yap, it was too dry. It is still OK but avocado would make it more moist. I would still not use any oil though.
I still want to make perfect high protein/low carb pancakes! Still haven’t really managed it, but I will! Most of the vegan protein pancake use the powder as the minor part of the ingredient. I want the reverse! I need to test with different flours I guess. This crepe was made with Sunwarrior vegan protein powder with oat flour. I added tapioca, but the mixture remained slimy…. very hard to harden! They tend to stick to the pan so turning them would end up being a big time FAIL. This one went ok…
Anyways, I still haven’t uploaded many of my experiments, I will continue to do so!